Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Fun in Philly

I recently returned from a work conference in Philadelphia, and let me just say it was pretty amazing! I was bummered because I had to leave Josh home. I went with some ladies from work and we had a good time. The conference was pretty informative, but the sightseeing was really what I will remember from my trip. I knew that Philly was cool but after spending a few days there, I really grew quite attached to the city. We spent most of our time downtown by the Pennsylvania Convention Center and in the historic district. It was super hot and super humid. Because I am thermally challenged I still managed to freeze in air conditioned buildings because it was soooo humid. Some of my favorite sites include seeing Rocky on the steps, Ben Franklin's Grave, the US Mint, the Liberty Bell, and Independence Hall.

We took a guided tour of Independence Hall and I have to say that I was awe struck to be in the same room where The Declaration of Independence, and The Constitution were signed. I felt so much gratitude for the fathers of our nation and all the others who sacrificed for our freedom. We really are blessed to live and be free in such a beautiful country.

While I was in Philadelphia I figured I should have a famous Philly cheese steak sandwich. I doubt I could find better! Philly has really given us so much, democracy, the philly cheese steak, and Will Smith.

Philly is the City of Brotherly Love. This was a fountain in Love Park.

The last day we took a tour bus up to New York City. We had six hours to see as much of the big apple as we possibly could, it was a mad dash of sightseeing! We were able to see the Statue of Liberty from Battery Park, the Chrystler building, and ground zero. My roomie Pat and I rode the subway all by ourselves up to Grand Central Station. We walked to the Empire State building and through Time Square; Whoaa and I thought Vegas was sensory overload! I bartered for a knock-off purse, and bought lunch from a street vendor so... I pretty much played the part of a good tourist. We finished our day off at the Top of The Rock, Rockefeller Center to get a good view of this vast and vertical city. I've never seen so many people and so many tall buildings, what an experience. I will definitely be back, next time with Josh in tow.








5 comments:

Scott and Megan said...

so impressed! What a blast! Nice pics and way to hit the highlights! How sad for poor joshy poo. Trips to experience US history are awesome! Truly make me appreciative! miss you guys lots!

Nate and Joelle said...

Kate-
I'm jealous maybe you should take me on your next fun adventure. It looks very pretty in the city of Philly.

Victoria Lemon said...

That's so cool you got to do that. I didn't even eat a philly cheesesteak sandwich when I was there. NY is so fun to see and shop. What kind of purse did you get?

Powell said...

Hi- I know you don't know me but I went to school with warren and saw your blog- Philly just caught my attention. We've been living there since April and it really is cool. I just thought it was neat you were just here, even though I don't know you. :) the cheesesteaks I will miss when we return to Utah.

Anonymous said...

It looks like you had so much fun! We need to plan a trip that we can all go on together!
I can't wait till we will see you again! Jess